Dental Amalgam | Safe or Not?

Are Dental Amalgams Safe?

Most dental amalgam compositions are made up of a handful of metal such as copper, silver, tin, and even mercury. In the past, the negative health effects of mercury were not as well understood. For this, many people, including you, should know more about dental amalgams and any poses that they could risk.

The Problem of Mercury

Mercury is dangerous to the human body. In small quantities, mercury can cause neurological problems. In larger quantities, it can actually fatally harm you. Some dental amalgams can contain up to 50% mercury in them. Some studies have linked these to health problems in individuals.

In nature, mercury isn’t a large threat to most people. What makes it dangerous for you and those around you is that a dental amalgam can leak mercury which can then find its way to other areas and surfaces that people around you use.

Why Use Mercury?

With all the dangers of mercury, why don’t dentists just remove the mercury to make it safer? The answer is that the mercury makes it easier to mould the dental amalgam. If you remove the mercury from the amalgam, you would not be able to mould and set the mixture and have it fill all the empty spaces in the tooth.

Are Dental Amalgams Safe?

Some countries have banned the use of dental amalgams for safety concerns. Some of these nations are Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. While it’s possible that you could have problems resulting from the mercury in the amalgams, health organisations have decided, as long as the amalgam is properly set and cured in the tooth by a competent professional, the dental amalgam is safe.

It may seem dangerous, but can also be very beneficial in the case of dental problems that cannot be easily cured by other means. You should maintain an important eye on any new developments, however, to make sure that you don’t suffer from the consequences of mercury leaking.